Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Picture Says 1,000 Words

Two posts in a row with no photos? Criminal.
So, in hopes of correcting my terrible blogging faux paus and making it up to you, here is a mini photo smorgasbord with only snippets (in my world = long paragraphs) of text to bog you down.

I know these are everywhere and have been since the dawn of crafting, but I was happy to pull out several vintage pillowcase dresses that I made way before my daughter was even a twinkle in my eye. I used to sew them and sell them on ebay back when I first started selling there in 1999. Because I suffer from easy onset boredom, I stopped making these (and didn't bother even trying to sell the last of the batch, apparently). These were in a Rubbermaid bin in back of a gargantuan closet that the Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe all live in.
It's a wonder I found them. Now I want to make more as I have a stash of vintage pillowcases that rivals Mt. Everest--
And they are so easy and only need the teensiest bit of elastic as I make the straps from the pillowcase too. Some people use ribbons or other trims I think? So I always have what I need right on hand.
Here are two faves of the ones I stumbled upon.




This is a sweet little print I found thrifting. I love her expression of wonderment.


This little sunny vase was left in a box of trash alongside the road when I took the kids for a stroll. Finders keepers!

And this quilt was bought at an antique shop in Foley, AL that has since shut its doors. $3.
I love it as it reminds me so much of the Gee's Bend Quilts. Alot of it is poly, but I don't mind one bit. I took lots of closeups of various configurations, as it's the details that really reel me in.






The back:


I am hoping to use my quilts, vintage fabrics and aprons to do some domesticity/vintage textile inspired product offerings very, very soon to be offered on etsy! Stay tuned!!

8 comments:

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Those pillowcase dresses are so cute! Love the solid yellow banding on the bottom.

I've seen the others with the ribbon straps, but I think I like them better make with the case fabric.
Very pretty.

Kimberly :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I Love that print- I would have picked that up too. That little girl, happy simply because it's snowing- she's there in all of us, isn't she?
And how do I thank you for absolutely making my day by writing an unsollicited comment on my website?! You mean someone out there is reading me?
I'll be sure to take a look at your beautiful blog again soon.
Chantal/Cottagewoman
words.inkandescence.com

Susan said...

I love those dresses! So cute--and the straps are great.

Nancy said...

Those dresses are adorable. Why don't you sell them now on etsy? What would they be??? new old stock vintage rediscovered retro dresses? I bet they sell like hotcakes! Nancy

Margerie said...

I agree, those dresses are adorable! Perfect for summer- cute and comfy! What size child do they fit? If girls size 5-6, I want the first one! (Oh they are all super cute!)

One Gal's Trash said...

Hi,
Thanks for leaving your nice comments on my blog. Love the pillowcase dresses and that your daughter wants to be topless. Your blog is funny and delightful. Can I add you to my favorites?
Pam

Gina said...

love your pillow dress it is so sweet.

Anonymous said...

I love Gee's Bend Quilts, I've borrowed the book about them from the library a few times just to browse through. The quilt was a great find! I've got some really cool quilts I'll have to show you some time, I like getting the ones that look beyond repair and fixing them up. I even have one that Sean's great-grandmother made. - Kerry